Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Along the Path

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My "Tuesday"


What is a "Tuesday".

I was introduced to "Tuesday" by Bobbie.

One day, many years ago, on a day when it seemed like my candle was not only burning from both ends but also ready to blow apart in the middle .....I was on the phone with Bobbie and she said........."you know Marnie, you need to take a "Tuesday". A what? A Tuesday. "O.K., Bobbie, what is a Tuesday?"

When Bobbie was a single parent, working many jobs, blowing up her candles, she was introduced to the "Tuesday". On Tuesday, which happened to be the day of the week, at that time, that worked for her schedule, she would take some time for herself. Recharge her batteries. Maybe go to a movie, take a walk in the park, read a book, go to the beach, something that didn't involve work, kids, or taking care of anyone else. Spending some time with herself. Enjoying herself. Taking care of herself.

Later she found that the day....Tuesday....of the week, didn't always work out.....perhaps it had to be on a Thursday, or a Wednesday, perhaps a Monday, or any other day of the week. It didn't matter what day of the week it was, it was just important to make time, not even an entire day, but make some time........for a "Tuesday". Time to take care of you. Time to spend time with and enjoy YOU.

She was right. I soooo needed a "Tuesday". It was hard. How unusual and foreign to plan to spend time alone, even stranger........to have permission to do it! How odd it is in our society that we have to make excuses if we want to be alone. How we are looked at with a peculiar eye if we tell someone we do not wish to do something with them or as a group because we need some ME time. What is wrong with her? How unsocial!

More of us need to learn to enjoy and cherish our own company. Get to know who we are. What do I like to do. Who am I? Other than a mother, a wife, a business associate.
Who Am I? Learn to enjoy ourselves.......by ourselves.

We also need to learn not to make excuses for "such behavior". It is perfectly acceptable to go "hang out" with a group of friends in mindless entertainment such as watching a football game on a big screen in a crowded sports bar, or sitting in a room full of people watching the television hanging on the wall............with no interaction. Why is it unacceptable to go to a park alone, enjoying the outdoors, reading a book, enjoying a beverage. Why is it unacceptable to pack yourself a picnic lunch and go "exploring" down a state park trail; opening your mind and thoughts up to new experiences. Why is it so difficult to simply say "I want to spend the day alone, by myself", without someone being offended or taking it the "wrong" way.

Why is it so many people find it uncomfortable or don't like to be alone? If they don't like spending time with themselves..........what makes them think anyone else does either?

A "Tuesday" doesn't have to be the entire day. It can just be a couple of hours. Which, because of my hectic schedule, is typically what they are. But, even with the limited time, what good it does for my soul. A little "down" time is truly a wonderful thing! Sometimes it is amazing what I come up with!

This week my "Tuesday" was on Tuesday.

I had an appointment in Stillwater and made plans afterwards to take a couple hours for my "Tuesday".

I drove down some random country roads and walked along some trails next to frozen fields and ice covered rivers. I was alone. I felt so far from the world, and it was happy.

I had brought my camera along and snapped some random shots.

Walk with me:







Take time for yourself. Take a "Tuesday"!

No comments:

Post a Comment