Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Along the Path

Sunday, February 1, 2009

"Super" Sunday

Wasn't the game today great?

Neither one of the teams are "my" team, but since my team didn't seem to be on the field I was rooting for Arizona.

What an exciting game from start to finish. Congratulations Pittsburgh!

Not only was there excitement on the field, there was also quite a bit of excitement in my kitchen.

Guess who got to come out today?

I knew you would guess..............


Yes, it is one of the few days of the year he gets to come out........the football Crock-Pot.

He was filled with all kinds of delicious for his big day.



Tavern with Cheesy Potatoes

Delicious from my Crock-Pot roots. LeMars, Iowa!

The 1924 original tavern from Bob's Drive Inn on Hwy 75, LeMars.

Gary, Nancy, Jay and I (and Great Grandma Teddy if she was in town) would pile in the station wagon and head over to Bobs. I always liked my tavern with the hot dog. The first time I ate a tavern I didn't realize along with my tavern I was also eating the thin white sheet of paper that came with it.

We would always get extra taverns. One to eat there in the station wagon in the parking lot and another to eat when we got to the house. There we would be all crammed in the station wagon in the dusty gravel parking lot devouring our taverns.......laughing. Gary would always look around with a smile on his face, laugh and say "Doesn't get any better than this".

As our taverns were getting dressed on steamed buns with mustard and pickles yesterday Kyle and I could almost hear Grandpa Gary laughing. When Kyle took his first bite and said "Doesn't get any better than this", I looked around at the kids and all of us having fun together and knew exactly what Gary had meant. I think I even said in a whisper out loud, "You're right Gary, it doesn't get any better than this".

No comments:

Post a Comment