Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Along the Path

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Cockleburs

Yesterday afternoon I was having one of those days that was actually quite a few days (different moments from several days) coming.

It all kind of hit at about 4:04 (to be exact :) ).

I am getting very busy with work....lots of weddings, lots of brides, lots of invitations, lots of flowers, lots of budgets....and lots of changes. I am also designing and planning a graduation party for Stillwater Head Start and designing and making a DVD for presentation at the party and an individual one for each family. I have been bombarded with resumes and job inquiries for wedding coordinators, which I am sifting through and interviewing. I have been having "issues" with Justin. Then yesterday at 4:03 Gregory came home from school and after asking him where my not so inexpensive thermos from Starbucks that I had sent clam chowder with him to school in the morning in for a field trip was and he told me he had "accidentally" thrown it away with his paper bag after lunch. At 4:04 it all kind of mixed together and I decided I was having one of those days.

Nothing big. Nothing dramatic. Like a bunch of cockleburs stuck to my pant leg and in my shoe laces. Annoying, rather prickly, hard to shake off.

I tried to maintain these cockleburs all week. Attempting to pick each one apart piece by piece and throw it away, but yesterday, at 4:04 they were all there. Poking at me and irritating me from all directions.

My friend Kris had sent me an email yesterday morning:

The Wheels on the Bus go round and round, the horn on the bus goes beep, beep, beep. The driver Kris on the bus would like to pick you up this evening at 5:50 and it will take you to a wonderful event in your home town of New Richmond. Call me for more details. I would highly suggest not missing this bus! Don't be late.

I had no idea what she was up to. When I called her to "get details" she told me there was a presentation from Jon Gordon, author of "The Energy Bus" among other positive motivational books and she had got me a ticket to attend with her.

I told Dave and he was interested as well and decided to go.

Kris was going to pick us up at 5:50.

From 4:04 on I tried to get rid of the cockleburs. I prayed that I could just let things go, but they didn't seem to be going anywhere. I had worked myself up into a petty irritated mood.

We went outside on the porch to wait for Kris at 5:40. It was a beautiful evening and I tried to count my blessings. Still wasn't working. At 6:00 Kris called.........she was running late. She had been baking some bars for a friend and they had not been getting done and she had needed to wait for them. Something totally understandable.......but for me......at the moment.....another cocklebur. I told her we would meet her there.

Dave and I got there and there were lots of people, probably about 300. It seemed like every. single. one of them. was wayyyyy too happy. They were cheerful and polite and energetic and although we had never met any of them before they acted like we were long lost friends. I told Dave "there is something wrong with these people!". He just looked at me and grinned.

I was being quite the krumudgen if I day say so myself.

Kris arrived and gave me a big hug and smile and I thought "oh great....another happy person!!"

We went to the bar to get something to drink before the presentation started and she asked me how I was. WELL........let me tell you!!!!!......I know she was so sorry she had asked! I then complained about the long line and how long it was taking. I mean I was covering myself with my own cockleburs at this point. Kris told me "it's not like you, you are really complaining tonight". I told her "It's not complaining.....it's bitching".

Is there a difference?

By the time we sat down for the presentation I was sooo tired. I had really been working myself to death since 4:04. I told her "It would be just like my day today if here I am at this energy presentation and I fall asleep".

The presentation was wonderful. Jon Gordon is a wonderful speaker and his message was very uplifting and contained some very powerful and helpful advice. I was very glad I had attended and very thankful to Kris for the opportunity.

Following his presentation he took out a large bucket that contained the stubs of all the tickets, probably about 300. He was going to raffle off some of his books "The Energy Bus" and some shirts. I looked at my ticket.....1347.

He began to call numbers and gave away about 5 of his books and then about 5 shirts.

After he finished calling the last number and gave away the last shirt he looked sadly at his side and everything to give away was gone. "That was so much fun" he said. He walked up to the podium and retrieved his copy of a book that he just finished writing and had not brought with because it is just coming out.

"That was so much fun.....I want to give away one more. This is my copy of my new book "The No Complaining Rule".....positive ways to deal with negativity.

I thought to myself...........this is the book I sure needed today.

No sooner had I thought that he called the next number............1347. Mine!!!

He walked back to where I sat and made me stand up and receive my book from him. He said "repeat after me.......I promise I will live by the the no complaining rule".

Kris and Dave were laughing hysterically. I was shaking my head and laughing. "I promise" I said.

Out of all those people. All those ticket stubs. A book that wasn't even meant to be given away. I received it.

He signed my book and in doing so explained to focus on Get To vs. Have To. If you look at things with the "Get To" perspective rather than the "Have To" perspective you will experience a much more positive outcome.

He signed my book "Get To".

What a great tool to use in getting the cockleburs off!!

Once again.....what we need......when we need it.


Kris also had some photos taken with me and Jon, but I don't have copies of those yet.

She thought it was pretty funny :)

2 comments:

  1. Seems that you have had a theme going on here lately. "What you need, when you need it." Someone very powerful is watching out for you and Dave... that was a great story and I'm glad you had a wonderful positive experience. I hope I am still a flower among your bed of cockleburs. Make me a "get to" and not a "have to" on your endless list of things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you "Got It " Love B--CH

    ReplyDelete