Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Along the Path

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Stuck On You

Pincushions.

I love them.

Although I love to sew, but rarely have the time and am not very good at it, the reason I love pincushions is not for their functionality.....but rather because I just think they are so darn cute!! I love their charm and personality.

In 1911 the authors of Pins and Pincushions declared, "One thing is certain, the pincushion is far too valuable an article ever to go out of fashion." This sewing accessory corralled what was once a precious, and expensive, household commodity.

In addition to garden-variety red tomatoes, the varied shapes, colors, and materials of which they are made are limitless.

Although I love them....I only own 1!

This is my one and only pincushion.

I have the perfect shelf for an entire pincushion collection, but for now it is empty. I think my one would look pretty silly up there.

There are so many creative designers and sites for pincushions. I will share a few with you here:

This one is so fun. The designer of this whipped this up for the Pincushion Challenge theme of sea. A beach pebble covered in pebbles. Made from recycled wool felt and scraps left over from dressmaking. Stuffed with fabric scraps.
www.boogaj.com/pincushion_challenge

If you are into sewing....and particularly would enjoy making pincushions, this would be a fun place for you to check out. The Pincushion Challenge. Every month you make a pincushion that somehow relates to the monthly theme. When it's finished you upload it to the Pincushion Challenge Flickr Group. It's that easy!

This is what they call the "Basic Bottlecap". If you would like to try it out here is a great tutorial Basic Bottlecap Tutorial.


This is an Eyeball Pincushion. If you would like to learn how to make it: Eyeball Pincushion Tutorial.

If you like wearable pincushions,

this one is knitted: Wearable Poppy Pincushion Tutorial.

This pincushion is a simple patchwork number. Patchwork Number Tutorial.

I love how it looks and because they say it is "simple", I think I may give this one a try!!




This is my my absolute favorite, I just love it! However, I have never done cross stitch, so I don't think I will ever have it. If you do, I have a special treat for you. You can click here and get the pattern for this adorable pincushion!

Here are some other fun projects:

I think these are adorable. There is no tutorial for them, but the site has all kinds of fun and creative ideas and worth checking out betz white.

I love working with felt and have decided to order this book which was written by Betz White......

Warm Fuzzies is filled with techniques, tips and patterns for creating over 30 cute and colorful felted items made from cast-away sweaters, including cozy pillows and throws as well as comfortable hats, scarves, pincushions and handbags. The best thing about these projects is how easy they are to make...and there's no knitting involved! Simply throw old wool sweaters into the wash to make fabulous felted material, then cut the pieces apart and use them to make felted goodies. Start with the sweet Cupcake Pincushion--they're so easy, and so very cute! To Order.

I don't have any links or information on "how to" for these. But aren't they great?





And this one for a baby's room. I used cloth diapers and always needed something to stick the pins in.

Remember......you crafty sewers out there. If you have the desire to make any of these great projects and you don't have the desire to keep all the pincushions. You can certainly send what you don't want my way :)

2 comments:

  1. I truly love the very first, THE BEACH, I will lay on the beach and tan while the great sewers of the world do their little craft ! Those that know me, know I am the master of beaching !!!

    Love B--CH

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could sew. I'm more the beach connoisseur as well. Do you know of anywhere you can buy the fancy pincushions?
    ~C

    ReplyDelete